Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Embroidered Pillow


This little pillow has taken me almost 6 months to complete. Not because it was horribly difficult or terribly intricate, but mostly because it was a pain in the butt. The center of the circles consists of lots of little french knots and as I've mentioned before, these are not my favorite embroidery stitch (if you can even call that a stitch). So why did I decide to do a project that was almost entirely made up of dreaded french knots. Because I was copying this. I loved how the design looked and wanted to recreate my own version.


I started out by hand drawing on the circles. To make the circles a little fuller I did an outline stitch all the way around and covered that with a satin stitch. Then came the painstaking process of making 5 Billion tiny little knots. I did this project a little bit at a time. I normally like to sit down at the end of the day and watch some TV and work on whatever embroidery project I have going on. Most nights though, I would look at this one and think "Yeh, right".

In the end I finished it and sewed it into a pretty little pillow that sits in one of my favorite chairs (reupholstered for me by my mom when I was around 14). I do hope those darn knots hold up and this pillow lasts a long time!

Total cost= my blood, sweat and tears :)

No comments:

Post a Comment