Thursday, August 19, 2010

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Ruffle

Waste not, want not. That single phrase goes through my head somewhere around 50 times a day. I don't like to throw things away. Not only do I worry about the waste is adds to our local landfill, but I can't help to think that if I hold on to it, I might find a use for it some day.

I have this little pile of clothes in my room that I don't ever wear but I'm not ready to get rid of. I re-use some for fabric, some end up as cleaning rags, and then there are pieces that with a little cutting and sewing turn into "new" clothes, breathing life into my wardrobe.


I recently came across this tutorial from Tea Rose Home and had to try it ( I am a sucker for a good online tutorial). So I dug through my clothes stack and found two similar white t shirts that were ready to be ruffled.


Here is the end result. I'm not normally one for ruffles, but I think I'm liking this one. So, with only about 2 hours of cutting and sewing time, we have one cute "new" shirt for the cost of my hard work (okay, it wasn't really that hard). Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, & Ruffle :)

4 comments:

  1. Holy Cow! Is that pic of you in the stripe sweater? You have really slimmed down since I left. Maybe I should have stuck with the pumping longer......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, thats me. But I'm about the same size as when you left. I think its the angle that the picture was taken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Megan, this shirt is beautiful!! I want one! Hi Naomi, too, in case you're reading....) I don't think I could do it, but I'm sure my sister Katie could!
    I love your blog!! What a good idea and great philosophy! I am looking forward to what you do next!
    Deanna (Fowler) White

    p.s. Maya and Wren are as beautiful as grandpa says!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deanna-Thanks so much for the kind words!!

    ReplyDelete