Sunday, September 12, 2010

A Nifty Thrifty Wedding :: The Dress

Well, the time has come. My partner, Adam, and I have decided to get married! Being a frugal minded couple, we are planning a simple (yet lovely) wedding for this coming November. I have a lot of ideas on how to pull off a thrifty celebration and am excited to make them a reality. I've decided to blog this little journey, mostly because it will be thrifty (fitting with the theme of this whole blog here) and it will definitely be taking up a good portion of my free time in the next few months. And so now, the planning begins.

We have approximately 2 months to put it all together. We'd like to have a crisp Fall wedding and we're scheduling around twin nieces being born and several family and friends coming from out of town (why not tie it in with Thanksgiving and save them an extra trip?). I know most people plan a wedding in about a year, but I think with the level of simplicity we're going for here, 2 months will be just fine. Oh, and did I mention we're setting a $5oo budget? Yep, that's everything for less than $500. I'm talking food, cake, music, venue, flowers, everything!



So, where to start? How about the dress? I did a quick Google search for "boho wedding dresses" and this is what I found. It was one of the first dresses I saw and it is perfect! The website I found it on looks like it is no longer operating. But I suppose that really doesn't make much of a difference anyway, I'm sure I wouldn't have paid the asking price. It is also a 1970's vintage dress, so finding a pattern looks kind of hopeless. But, luckily I have a talented mother to help me create it from scratch! I'm not sure if we'll be able to get the dress exactly the same, but I think we'll be able to get it pretty close. So, it looks like I'll be taking a trip to the fabric store tomorrow to find the perfect fabric to get us started! More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment